April 10, 2020

An incredible transformation.

Exactly one year ago today, I had brain surgery.

I was reminded of this fact when I woke up this morning with this achy feeling all over - it's like when a morphine drip runs out and you've just had surgery. I remember the morphine drip. The crazy thing is I still have morphine in my medicine cabinet. Now that I think of it, I have a cornucopia of pharmaceuticals that I was given after I left the hospital. But frankly, the morphine is no good because it was accidently doused in grapefruit juice and is now mostly stuck to a kleenex. Last year when I was still taking morphine, I woke up one morning - I had the grapefruit juice in one hand and the morphine container in the other. Before I knew it, there was morphine in the juice, juice in the morphine container, juice and morphine mixed up and on the bathroom counter. At the time, I thought kleenex was a good option.

It's weird to think of it because so much has changed in a year. I mean, it's unbelievable. I think for me this summer was really good for my career. At least that's what everyone tells me. Who knows, right? It's an up and down ride.

Right now, I feel pretty good about me and the possibility of an academic career. Dr.PureEnergy is really making an effort to mentor me into a t-t position. After we get some really cool next gen data, we'll write a grant together for NSF on which I'll be a coPI. Lately my scientific work is getting some recognition, and best of all I'm incredibly focused and have managed to get manuscripts out the door. Sweet damn.

For HippieHusband, things are definitely better, but he's still in a bit of a holding pattern. It's been about a month since we've arrived in YummyLargeCity and he's had 3 in-person interviews: 2 postdocs and 1 biotech company. His hippieness has been replaced by the millionaire playboy look (not Hefner style). And let me tell you he looks hot in a suit and tie - so I'm hoping for the biotech company. Hot damn.
I recognize that things are impermanent - so I don't plan on getting too comfortable.

But at the same time, I plan on enjoying a few things. Did I mention how incredibly hot HippieHusband looks in a suit and tie?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

more like:

http://halfpastawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/the-dude.jpg

HH

ScientistMother said...

I"m happy you're doing well.

GMP said...

Just here to say I enjoyed the post. And I am speachless abut the fact that you had brain surgery. Happy brainaversary!

Nat Blair said...

Yay for this year ending up well!

microbiologist xx said...

Brain surgery...wow! Glad things are going well for you both career-wise and hot husband-wise. :)

Romy said...

I hope you read my book 'You Never Know: A Memoir.'

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=romy+shiller&x=14&y=18

hypatia said...

I've been reading your comments & archives... so that you don't freak out... I'm a faculty member at a R1 who had brain surgery as a three year old and whose mom died of a brain tumor about 2 months ago. I saw a post somewhere else that sent me here wondering about the brain surgery thing. Anyway. I'm so encouraged by where you are today! Congratulations!

unknown said...

@Hypatia
Thanks! I'm not weirded out at all.

I'm so sorry about your mom. That must be so tough, especially because of the history. I hope things get better.

The liability of a brown voice.

 It's 2am in the morning and I can't sleep.  I'm unable to let go of the ruminations rolling around in my brain, I'm thinkin...