March 11, 2011

how not to get pubs

When I first started thinking about my long-term goals, I realized that I needed some advice. So I emailed a friend and assistant prof, SeriouslyProductive at TheDarndestUniversity. Here is the original advice she gave me about writing. This advice helped me get Postdoc manuscript #1 (Killmenow) to a place where it could be submitted to Dr.Add'EmUp and one senior collaborator.

What is the status of this fully written manuscript? This saga is not worth going over again. Suffice to say, I think that this may be of the reasons why this lab has had trouble getting external funding. The manuscript is on hold until Dr.Add'EmUp sorts out things on his end. I can't tell you how frustrated I am about what seems like an indefinite holding pattern. How did I find myself here? I finished the manuscript back in January but now I have to sit on it! For a postdoc this is death.

When I think about it, I should have known better and listened to my gut about SmallUniversity. The lab I went to do Postdoc#1 was not super productive. In fact, when I got there I found out that it took Dr.Add'EmUp two years to get his first empirical paper out. That should have been a red flag.

Okay, stop crying over stupid spilled milk chiquita. If I want a fighting chance at a tenure track position, I need pubs. Early in January, I joined a postdoc writing group in YummyLargeCity and it has been super helpful. First thing we did, is write out all the "open loops" or projects/manuscripts that were still lurking in the deep recesses of our computers. Open loops are any project that lead to a manuscript. This included collaborations where you weren't the first author as well as any grant applications that would eventually lead to manuscripts.

I had 8 open loops but I'm only presenting a few here:


Scale represents my interest in the project, where 10=totally juiced and 0=can't stand it get me far far away. From this table, we picked the projects closest to being done and each week set small goals that could facilitate the completion of the manuscript.

Although KillMeNow looks like the one I should be pushing given the pain and saga surrounding it, I've written it off for the moment. What emerged as the project to work on was StillHangingOn and the surprise for me, SmallButAvailable. StillHangingOn is the third of four manuscripts from my PhD. So its an obvious priority. SmallButAvailable is this little experiment I ran in my first postdoc at SmallUniversity that got some cool results. All the data is collected so really, I just need to chip away at it.

Each week, we meet and set small tasks and then we're accountable to the group for the previous weeks' tasks. If there is a series of weeks where the same tasks don't get done, then there is an intervention. The intervention is to help the individual figure out why the tasks aren't getting done. For some, it's a matter of interest in the project. For others, it's simply just stuckage in terms of what to do. And that's where the group dynamic really helps. Because we come from various backgrounds we can prod each other with questions, excite, and inspire the lifeless and difficult projects.

Plus, don't knock the need to be a "disgruntled postdoc" in a group of seriously "disgruntled postdocs", who bitch about the full throttle stupidity of our supervisors and the system.

15 comments:

unknown said...

Sorry does anyone know how to fix it so the table isn't so far away from the text?

MuKa said...

I got finger-friction from scrolling down too much :)

Comrade PhysioProf said...

Why is dumshitte sitting on your paper?

FemaleForester said...

Hi Girlpostdoc, I've been following your blog for a little while and really like it!

I set up a writing group for graduate students in our department about six months ago after reading Paul Silva's "How to Write a Lot: A Practical Guide to Productive Academic Writing". It's been great!

I love the open-loop table idea... I'm gonna give it a try!

unknown said...

@MuKa Help me out. What do think might be wrong with the HTML code?

@CPP Because he has decided that now is the time for him to learn first hand how I collected and scored the 'alphabet'. Not while I was there in the lab collecting the data (and I offered), but now when I'm gone. All I can say is "Seriously?"

@Female Forester I read that book. It was good, but an even better one is a book by David Allen called Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress Free Productivity.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I created a table of my own right away (perhaps as a procrastination tool???). Since I'm still chugging on my PhD, this will be good to help me get to a target of X pubs by graduation.

Kristi Lewton said...

Such a good idea! Am off to make a table of my own...

Namnezia said...

It's interesting that you make the figures and write results last. Usually that's what I do first, and then build the paper around that.

unknown said...

@Namnezia These were in no particular order. I usually figure out the results, build the figures then tell the story too.

Comrade PhysioProf said...

Because he has decided that now is the time for him to learn first hand how I collected and scored the 'alphabet'.

What does him learning this have to do with the timeline of paper submission?

Bashir said...

I could probably use a group like that as I am in a similar situation. Getting a decent draft of a manuscript is easy, getting through the rounds of editing is difficult and has more to do with managing collaborators than any sort of editing issues. That's why I'm so happy my side project is a solo project.

My potential solution has been to tell my collaborators that the paper is going to be submitted at a particular date, and that if they want input that is their deadline. I give them a good amount of time but stick to the date.

unknown said...

@CPP Fuck if I know. I'm just a lowly postdoc.

Anthea said...

I suspect, from my own experience, that people sit on papers since they are either (a) too busy to really look at it, (b) don't want to say that they don't think that it's of benefit to the academic community, (c) too lazy to do the work and do want to look collegial or worst reason of all (d) don't agree with what you've written and won't admit it.

I do like your tactic for dealing with other publications that you've got in some form or another.

MuKa said...

Hey, you fixed it!

unknown said...

@Anthea I don't really know if its any of the ones you suggested.
If he was too busy then why does he need to learn how to score the alphabet?

If he didn't think it was of benefit to the community, why did he spend time last year writing a grant about it. Besides, I've accepted the fact that all we do is normal science - it never is really a benefit in any practical sense.

If he didn't agree with what I had written then he had a chance to say so during the revisions process. At all points I've been open.

@MuKa I cheated. Made the table a jpg.

The liability of a brown voice.

 It's 2am in the morning and I can't sleep.  I'm unable to let go of the ruminations rolling around in my brain, I'm thinkin...