November 24, 2010

Slow Science III - The Death of the Sniper Scientist - part a.

In my previous post, I asked you who was the man in the image. The reason I wanted to know if you knew - is because I didn’t have a clue when my officemate, Phylogenisto asked me.

Phylogenisto, is an awesome officemate because he just as passionate about his science as I am about mine. And although he talks my ear off at length about the taxonomy wars, I get a chance to shoot the scientific shit with him. Something I didn’t have at SmallUniversity. Plus, he is an example of the sniper scientist species, that I believe is becoming extinct in our discipline.

Phylogenisto is the kind of scientist who knows inside and out the families he works with at all levels. If you were to take a walk through the proverbial "woods," he could identify different species, their natural history, morphological characteristics, odd features about their anatomy, as well as the resolved and unresolved evolutionary relationships in the group. Phylogenisto spends an incredible number of hours painstakingly hand drawing images of the anatomy of the different species he studies, because in his words, “The only way to understand or intuit the function of a trait, is to draw it.” And he spends his spare time fashioning specimen collections like many of the old scientific masters, such as Alexander von Humboldt, the man in the picture.

So when I didn’t know who was Alexander von Humboldt, it clearly disturbed Phylogenisto. In fact, it upset him so much that he began to pace back and forth in front of his desk, speaking in his native German tongue.

"Umm, Who is Alexander von Humboldt? I asked.



“Come on. No. You’re kidding me. He’s only the most famous scientist next to Darwin and Wallace,” he said dumbfounded. [I have that effect on many people including my former PhD supervisor, who on occasion used to give me, what we grad students affectionately called "the snowblink look."]

“Really? If he’s so famous how come I’ve never heard of him.”

[I realize only after I made this statement how much it oozed the entitlement generation. As if fame only comes if I know who the person is. Besides, I can’t really describe myself as a connoisseur of fame, considering that I didn’t know Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.]

“He is only the last great scientist of the modern age.”

Okay peeps, this man is the lead in to my next post, which will examine the death of the sniper scientist in the modern era. But I want some participation first. So tell me without doing a google search if Alexander von Humboldt was a

a. Biologist.
b. Meterologist.
c. Geologist.
d. Physical Geographer.
e. Botanist.
f. Philosopher.
g. German Explorer and Biogeographer.


Don't be shy! I really do want to hear from you.

6 comments:

JaneB said...

I'd say g, but that's because Darwin said that von Humboldt was one of the last - maybe the last? - great travelling scientists. So I want travel in there. Thought I think he, like most of that generation, made some contribution to all those fields...

The bean-mom said...

Okay, G as well. His name sounds familiar, but I can't place the field. Now I'm off to Google.

unknown said...

@JaneB You are correct. He made some contribution to all of those fields but was most famous for his expeditions into Latin america!

@Bean-mom. I think it's interesting that you say you can't place the field, considering that he has contributed to almost all fields.

Glad to know that at least two people are still reading the blog!

chall said...

hey, I still read... ;) Have heard of von Humboldt but couldn't place the pic.... AS far as getting told who he was, I think it was my German professor in Biology who did the trick, talking about H instead of only Darwin :)

unknown said...

@chall Wow good for you for knowning who he was. Ahh, those Germans!

Yeah! Three people!

WeiterGen said...

Worth reading (and quite a success in Germany):
http://www.amazon.com/Measuring-World-Vintage-Daniel-Kehlmann/dp/0307277399/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291830594&sr=8-1

The liability of a brown voice.

 It's 2am in the morning and I can't sleep.  I'm unable to let go of the ruminations rolling around in my brain, I'm thinkin...